Water Damage in one’s home or business is more common than most people think. In more cases than not is the result of accidents in the home; like a tap someone forgot to turn off, or a washing machine hose that was accidently moved out of the laundry trough and one of the most interesting is people who fall asleep in the shower when they come home after a few too many drinks.
Other common causes of water damage in homes and businesses across Melbourne are due to either poor maintenance or poor workmanship. Overflow of gutters that have not been cleared of debris is a major issue, especially after autumn. Flexi-pipes used for washing machines and dishwashers that have not been fitted properly often give way and cause major flooding. There are undetected leaking pipes are another major cause of Water Damage in Melbourne. Cracked and damaged roofing is often the reason for flooding during heavy rains. Sewerage overflow is another problem.
You cannot control all the contributors to water damage in your home or business but you can take some steps to minimise the likelihood that you will be affected by water damage.
Things To Consider to Avoid the Water Damage Affection in Melbourne
Following are some things to consider to avoid the water damage affection into your areas in Melbourne.
- If you are going to be away from home for an extended period switch off your water supply from the mains to remove the risk of flooding and water damage from leaks or burst pipes.
- If you hear tapping noises in your roof or walls investigate them further as they may be a sign of water leaks.
- Before bedtime and before you go out check that all taps have been turned off, this is especially important if you have kids.
- If you’ve had a big night out, don’t sit in the shower to try and sober up. It is highly likely you will fall asleep and block the drain causing a major flooding issue.
- Clean your gutters regularly to ensure that they do not backflow into your home during heavy rains.
- Check your roof and make sure there are no broken tiles or loose roofing materials. A damaged roof will most likely result in major flooding in your home during heavy rains.
- If you notice bubbling water in your toilet or slow drainage in your sinks it is a good indication that that your sewer may be blocked and could overflow into your home.
- When installing washing machine or dishwasher hoses use professionals and ensure that the water supply hoses are fitted correctly and make sure you do not cross thread them.
- If your washing machine hose empties into your laundry trough make sure it is secured and stays in the trough permanently. It is amazing how many people move them and then forget to put them back, causing significant flooding in their home.
If you are unfortunate enough to be impacted by water damage resulting in wet carpet or timber flooring, or in water damage to your walls or other surfaces in your home call a professional fast. The quicker water is removed and the drying process begins the more contained the damage will be. If you do not act fast the water could result in moulding, cupping of your timber floor or extensive damage to your walls and subfloor etc.
Do not try and dry your water damaged home yourself, you are unlikely to be able to remove the excess water from the subfloor or to dry it effectively. Call Capital on 1300 554 418 24/7 to find out what to do if your home or business in Melbourne is affected by water damaged resulting in wet carpet, wet flooring, water damaged walls or mould resulting from moisture and long-term water damage. We are certified and will provide you with advice on what to do and the impacts of no action. Our aim is to have our water damage technicians at your location anywhere in Melbourne within the hour.